Custom Logos, Web Design Templates and Business Cards

-Domain Outpost
-Template Outpost
-Element Outpost
-Jobs Outpost
-Recipe Outpost

Go Back   Design Outpost > Design Projects > Logos > Logo Project Archives
Register Help Members List New Projects Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Client

(Admin code added by 2square - 11236462)

"Anagnosis Consulting" is the name I use for all my technical consulting gigs. I have been sitting on the creation of business cards and a website for a year or two now largely due to my lack of ability to come up with a logo. This logo will be used for my website, business cards, and possibly t-shirts and other products. The closest thing I have to a logo is the name "anagnosis" written in the "Village" font from "The Prisoner" television series (similar to the Albertus font). There is no requirement to stick with that font or family.

I am an all-purpose computer consultant but I specialize in UNIX operating systems and high-tech enterprise applications such as the Oracle database, Web Servers or Java application servers; I.e. most of the stuff you're asking me to work with you've already paid at least several hundred thousand dollars for. I try to provide my clients with solutions that can only be provided with a deep understanding of the technologies involved. The kind of work I do includes: systems administration, design of enterprise infrastructure and architecture, teaching high-level technology classes, technical book reviewing, building integration tools to glue together heterogeneous networks, security and performance analysis, technical writing, and some limited software development.

My strengths are deep knowledge of many, many areas and ability to synthesize new information and new technologies very quickly (e.g. lock me in the room with it for a day and I'll understand it), and in imparting that information to other individuals and groups. I want to be the guy who a company calls when a problem is simply too hard or a solution requires too much knowledge or experience in esoteric areas. Like that "computer guy" who you call in when you really need help and all the normal "pretty good" folk haven't been able to help...except for large business's computer problems instead of your personal PC problems. So, the logo should appeal to an IT director or manager of a fortune 1000 company, not so much to the end-user or entry-level technologist.

Other little factoids to give you an idea about myself and the company: I'm 28. Most of my work is for large companies and government but I also work for small businesses. I strongly prefer to work with non-Microsoft technologies. I was a competitive "college bowl" player for many years, so I know a little about a lot of things besides technology, and I bring that to bear in what I do. I wouldn't call myself a "high-buck" consultant but my bill-rate is at the "expert" level so you wouldn't call me for a contract where you could find lots of competition.

Anagnosis itself can be broken down as "to not not know" and is a very uncommon word which has been used as a synonym for "exegesis" or "public reading" in a philosophical/theological sense. The other meaning (which I based the name on) is a term from literature which indicates the moment of realization when a character who has been searching for the answers (who knows he doesn't have them) finally finds them. In other words, a super-fancy term for the "a-ha!" moment.

Right now there are no plans for the company to grow beyond myself but there is no reason it can't, so there shouldn't by anything which indicates a "one-man-band."

Guidelines for the logo:
+should be able to be done in greyscale for letterhead but most every other use will be in color.
+should use either all-lower case (UNIX is all lower case) or mixed case
+shouldn't have anything that points to "Microsoft" eg any of their primary colors or their standard fonts (ariel, verdana, etc)

I have some ideas for themes but I thought I'd hold off on giving them until I let you all go at it "tabula rosa." I've seen in earlier contest where those types of suggestions really limited the variance in entries.

Thanks,

Jer Smith
Old 12-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Client

BTW, I haven't set a date for the contest ending yet. I'd like to give it at least a couple of weeks.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Paragon of Virtue

A tribal representation of your unique eye for solving problems.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Client

RadicalSeed:

I like the arrangement of the two words with "consulting" underneath...(I would prefer to leave out the word "consulting" altogether but then no one would know what the company or word meant. )

The tribal eye looks a little "complex" for a high-tech firm. I'm not adverse to the eye concept...but this one reminds me a bit of the "Eye of Horus" hieroglyph and I'm concerned that might be a little overused and imply "new-age" which I'm definitely not going for.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Penny Lane Graphics

Here are sone initial ideas...
Attached Images

Penny Lane Graphics
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Client

Bill/Penny Lane,

These fonts are good--similar to what I was using I think--I like a's and the g's in the "older" style. Not so sure I like the exclamation point that all of these center around. The association to me is similar to a smiley--kind of pedestrian and wal-mart-ish. Probably more importantly the "a!" is very similar to the logo of one of the companies I work with, Apress (http://www.apress.com).

As far as the other elements go, I'm interested in the negative space look but wouldn't want to lock into it.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Penny Lane Graphics

Here are some more ideas...
Attached Images

Penny Lane Graphics
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:59 PM

here are some more ideas...I'm not sure why I fell in love with this font for you, but I did...
let me know what you think..
enjoi!
amanda
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Paragon of Virtue

This set combines a keen eye with the most primal of questions. One or Zero?
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Client

Sweet. Now we're getting started.

Bill:

#1 The company name itself and what we do is probably complex enough without introducing the greek. There's also a greek book company with a web presence with the same name so we woudln't want to overlap on that.

#2 That's nice and simple and looks professional to me. I like the "a" although I kinda wish we had something more unique than the first letter, if you know what I mean. I like the colors too but I'm wondering if blue-grey is too typical? Maybe something brighter?

#3 Don't like the block A in this one.
#4 Frankly, this one I'm not a fan of. Since the name is not a word most people know I'd think people might wonder if it was just made up letters. Probably not where I want to go
#5 &6
I like the name wth a little bit of a simple flourish...the sun is better than the dot, I think. I wonder if there's any way to play around with the g and how it's cut off...

Amanda:
I don't know if I like either of the three top right images fonts...but the bottom one on the right is a good font. Of course I want more than just the name eventually.

I like the look of both of the other logos (the name in that font with something over it) but I'm not sure that either graphic is quite what I want. The atom might be too science-focused and the sun too prominent. If I were to use a sun logo it would probably be more understated like Bill's negative one...but I also wouldn't want it to look too much like the Solaris Logo (this is another of the products I work with)

These are great...I'm excited.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:08 AM

Here's a few new designs... hope you like.
Diane
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 05:29 AM
Design Outpost Flounder

heyy, here's a 'thought'...
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Design Outpost Flounder

Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Client

RadicalSEED: I like the colors and the bold look of it...The whole one and zero thing I'm not so sure about. A circle with something in it, though...

Raja: Like the thought bubble, but not the "lite brite". Overall I'm concerned it is a little too "sixties" though or is that just the bright colors?

Diane: I like the top one and bottom the best. The second one I don't really understand what the swirl is.
The lightbulb is close to overused, but along the right track...something that indicates rational but intuitive.

Jon Engle: The rendered sphere and color scheme works for me but see below

Everyone: I seem to be liking the idea of a small graphic as part of the written name, over or next to the text--but no one has hit on a graphic that really gets me excitied. I've decided that using an "a" in any of its permutations as the "graphical" piece I'm not really fond of...it doesn't really tell me about the company other than all the "A number one" stuff which is pretty much used everywhere.

I'm thinking that the symbol I'm looking is probably something that alludes to applied science and/or scholarship (but not academia). I'm thinking of a bunch of things probably too complicated for a graphic, like a tesla coil or an oscilloscope. Ideally it would be recognized by those with a solid technology or science history background. Something abstract that gave the same "feeling" might also work.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:25 AM
A Ruairi Works Wonders :)

Here are some new ideas based on "g". Let me know what you think.

Thank you.
-Ruairi
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 AM
"Different is Good"

A bit more Hi-Tec look...
-Anthony
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Design Outpost Flounder

here are some loose concepts I was 'thinking' about
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Premium Designer

how is this concept?
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 09:53 AM

ooh hey... I am captivated...mowling
Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 AM

Some suggestions ( anything like colors shadows etc can be altered/added of course):

user posted image
Old 12-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Premium Designer

here is another one
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 10:46 AM

A couple from me :-
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 12:34 PM

Here's a few logos going with your tesla coil/oscilloscope idea... these are some abstract designs along those lines.

Diane
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Design Professional

I understand you not wanting an "A" as part of the image, but I thought this one would make more sense.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Paragon of Virtue

:blink:
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 03:21 PM
It's about quality...

Hi Jer

Here's my first entries... B) *
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 PM

Another one :-
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Client

Wow. This is great, I'm having a hard time keeping up.

OK....

Ruari: I'm not sure the spiky G is the way to go. It was a cool thought but I wonder if it's a dead end.

Anthony/Mute Design: I think the fonts are way too out there for me. I want to look extremely professional, and although I consider it a creative biz most people hiring don't.

Raja: The thinker guy is a cool idea...and I like the wireframe one although it's a pretty complex and it seems to pull a little away from the name. I don't like the other two as much. Please explore this if you have a mind to.

Mowling: For the bubble ones: The bottom one with the logo on top...seems too much...better to the left or right but I don't know so much what the bubbles are supposed to mean...
I like the ?-->! one a lot better...it's a really cool idea and I think people get what it means.

Jon and Beatz: These look a lot like the logo for an airline or a something that implies "speed" or movement. they do a good job of that but I don't know if that's where I want to go.

Disturb Reality: I like your two a lot. Probably the bottom one more than the top in terms of the logo, the top more than the bottom in terms of the color scheme.

VisualSense: Of those, number two and four I like a lot. One and three don't work for a logo to me. Two is nice and simple and I particularly like the sort of 50's high-tech look to it. I also like the fact that you managed to make the tesla-coilish thing less, well, phallic. I also like the ground...I hadn't thought of an electrical symbol, but that works pretty well...and it's not so esoteric as to be not understood.

MarkBeaudry: I like the pixels but I can't get over not really wanting the "A."

RadicalSeed: Good playing with logo concepts but I don't really know what most of those are supposed to be. The bottom two look too much like Atari graphics (which was perhaps the intent) and the upper two are nice but I can't really figure out the business.

Eagle: Fonts on the top two are very "athletic" to me (to top one might look like a shoe logo) The third one is better, but I'm not inspired by the bubble-lightning logo.

Probably the ones I'm most excited about are the two from "DisturbReality" and "VisualSense's" 1st and 3rd. I haven't discounted the ideas from Raja, or Mowling's ? though.

I hope that those of you who I've basically said no to keep trying...I'm very happy with what I've seen so far.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Henrique Heine

I was thinking if the nautilus shell could be used to represent that "science feel" that you want. It┤s simple, relates to logic and growth (like the anagnosis sense).

user posted image
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 PM

Here's one of the logos with a few different color schemes and font styles.
Hope you like
Diane
Attached Images