Custom Logos, Web Design Templates and Business Cards

-Domain Outpost
-Template Outpost
-Element Outpost
-Jobs Outpost
-Recipe Outpost

Go Back   Design Outpost > Design Projects > Logos > Logo Project Archives
Register Help Members List New Projects Today's Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Client

(Admin code added by Palmer - 877403D)

Hi everyone,

This competition is for a logo for "Firemint", a company that develops A-grade computer games. The two main groups the logo needs to appeal to are:

- publishers, who award game development contracts, and other developers, who subcontract work;
- gamers, who actually buy and play the games.

The games are currently mainly mobile phone and GameBoy Advance, but it's possible there will be some PC and console games in the future so please do not make any direct reference to the platform the games are on (ie no phones or PCs in the logo).

We chose this name because:

- it's dynamic and fresh - we love the contrast between hot, flaming, energetic fire and icy, cool, refreshing mint
- the dynamic and fresh aspects translate well to being a cutting-edge technology company
- we like the double meaning of mint - the plant, and casting/forging
- it's unique, and "almost" meaningful in a tip-of-the-tongue kind of way
- it's playful but not silly

We are open to suggestions and would love to see any concepts (please feel free to post rough sketches) but to help get you started, here are some ideas we talked about:

- something that plays on the double meaning of mint - a mint leaf forged in fire?
- a flame and mint leaf almost have the same outline and could be one ambiguous shape, perhaps shiny and embossed silver
- a mark that's vertically half mint and half flame, with the red and green merging together in the middle with a bitmapped/pixelated sort of effect

I'm uploading an example that shows the serrated edges and little spikes on mint leaves - please use whatever element works for you

We have not decided colours but it should probably be some combination of silver/chrome or red/green. The font should probably be sans-serif, and game-ish looking while still being clean and legible. We're open to suggestions!

We are looking for a logotype and mark, and would like the mark to work alone as well. The mark should be recognisable at 32x32 pixels and even lower if possible. We need something that can work in B&W/spot colour as well as process, and something that has potential to be animated. It will go on all the usual items such as cards, letterhead etc but also the game box and could be quite small eg on mobile phone games (so the smaller you can make it, the better!)

We will need the final version in eps or Illustrator format.

Sorry about the short timeframe - as some of you already know we took ages to decide the name, and now we are staring at a deadline for a print publication for a conference we're attending... eek! I hope you guys can pull yet another miracle :-)
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Client

Sorry, just a small addendum after the boss read my post

Feel free to use whatever colour you think works - the red/green and silver were just my suggestions. Also, the boss REALLY loves the idea of the "cast/forge" meaning of mint - freshly minted, new, shiny, quality, appealing... so a design that could somehow incorporate this would go down well!
Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 AM

Hello it's MOZ
Wasn't I first last time too

I've been going to use this image as a fine art piece, but never did
Would you like me to work up some ideas around him???

PLMK
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Client

Hi Moz, good to see you again And thanks for kicking things off!

I like the image and the forge/mint theme, but I don't think this would reduce to a small size very well because of the amount of detail in him? What we'd like is something that can be quite tiny if needed... and I think we'd be looking for something a bit more technically advanced in the minting process than a blacksmith guy? Not sure! Did none of the suggestions above grab you? Or just that this one was ready to go?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:24 AM

here is a quick try at your logo...
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Certified Daydreamer

Ok this is just a quick concept the leaf needs working on (I.e. the flame), but it will give you an idea what direction I'm working towards

user posted image

Michael
Old 03-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Client

Hi DG, thanks for the quick reply

We'd prefer to see a clean, simple font treatment - I'm not usually a big fan of italics but I think it could possibly work in this case to indicate the dynamism of the company. But the flames on the individual letters are not the sort of feel we're looking for. Thanks for picking up on one of the suggestions I posted though, feel free to develop it furhter! eg some of the pixelated/bitmap interchange...
Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 AM

Using the "minting" as in coinage theme.

Carl...
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 07:47 AM

He was just sitting around
I'll be back!
MOZ
Old 03-11-2004, 08:08 AM
speak with images

My shot at it.

Design Gen, please let me know if you think this infringes on your original design... I tried to keep it away as much as possible.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 09:09 AM
speak with images

Take two.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Design Outpost Flounder

howdy
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 10:29 AM

Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 11:13 AM

Here is my first attempt at your logo...let me know if Im moving in the right direction...

Thanks,

Chris
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 11:39 AM
0 calories

user posted image

user posted image
Old 03-11-2004, 01:16 PM

dynagirl...

Your very first design reminds me of the BORG symbol from Star Trek..LOL uh oh, I guess I just outed myself as a "trekie" huh...
Old 03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Client

Hi everyone,

I'm in Australia so I guess a very different time zone to most of you - and wow, what a great way to start my day!! Thank you all so very much for your entries and thanks to everyone showing the different versions, big/small, colour/b&W... that's very helpful

Michael: I like the dynamism, the way it's not symmetrical and the movement in it. Like the feel of the font although perhaps not that exact one (not keen on the pixelated R, looks like this one was designed for small sizes?) Love the use of negative space and the way the lines in the leaf bleed into the flame. Also it seems just a little lopsided, perhaps the flame could sit on the black a bit more? Or the black could take up more of the shape?

Carl: I like the concept for the mark, but not a big fan of the font - I think we'd prefer something sans serif. It looks a bit like an oil company at the moment but we like the idea of the drop shape... liquid metal... could you try a few more ideas along those lines? Nice use of colour gradation too but the silver/grey is a bit dull looking, could you add more light/shine to make it look more precious somehow?

Arthouse: First one: Really like the font, and the very strong symmetry in the use of shape and colour. The shape reminds me of a maple leaf though, could you play with that a little more? Second one: Really love the shape, looks great! But somehow, it looks... a little too corporate perhaps? The mark looks a little like a hand holding a green flame perhaps - I love the green part and the shape of the negative space in it, but perhaps try a few variations with the orange part?

Raja: Wow, really love the glossy treatment! Love the shape too, perhaps just a little too abstract though? Love the font choice, too. Overall it looks very gamey! Love the movement in it. The green lozenge shape could be interpreted as a breath mint though, could you play with that shape a bit more?

DG: Thanks for the revision. I'm sorry, but it still doesn't grab me - the font is too casual and not clean or strong, and the flame and leaf in the symbol don't seem to have strong lines but are a bit "sketchy" looking if that makes sense. I like what you've done at the bottom with the black and white version sitting on top of the circle though. Could you refine the shape of the flames in that one to make them look more like fire?

Chris: I like the shape of the flames but I think there may be a few too many of them - a case of too much of a good thing? Could you keep the same sort of feel but simplify a little? I like the idea of the leaf as you've used it also, but it looks a little like it's just been put on top... could you try to integrate it more strongly with the background motif? Love the feel of the font too, and the ligature with the I and R is a great idea but it makes it look like it says "FREMINT". Not so keen on the E in this particular font though.

Dynagirl: I really love the movement and shape in the flame part of the mark, but the shape of the leaf is somehow not quite working for me - I'm not sure exactly what it is, somehow it's just a little too tame? Sorry I can't be more specific than that. I like the stamped/embossed treatment and also the metallic look. I'm not sure about the composition of the mark and type, but I think the mark is much too big relative to the font in the top version. I also prefer the version without the yellow. (The Borg have a symbol?? I didn't know they had a brand expert in the collective )

Some general notes for everyone: We seem to like the fonts that are all capitals, and while we like the use of different colours or different font weights for the two words, we don't want to separate them too much so I think using both a different colour and a different weight is a bit too much. Also, I would love to see something a little more 3D for the larger versions that can still translate to a flat B&W mark at smaller res - perhaps something where the middle part of the flame seems to come out of the page the most? Hopefully you can achieve this through the use of colours?

Hope that helps, thank you all very much for your work so far and I look forward to seeing the revisions!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:04 PM
speak with images

QUOTE (alexessory @ Mar 11 2004, 04:49 PM)
Arthouse: First one: Really like the font, and the very strong symmetry in the use of shape and colour. The shape reminds me of a maple leaf though, could you play with that a little more? Second one: Really love the shape, looks great! But somehow, it looks... a little too corporate perhaps? The mark looks a little like a hand holding a green flame perhaps - I love the green part and the shape of the negative space in it, but perhaps try a few variations with the orange part? [/b][/quote]
I can see how it could be a hand... it was actually a mix of fire and mint, capital F and M. I made this version before I saw you post... I thought I'd just send it along.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 03:59 PM

How about these...I made some adujstments to the font and leaf/flame design, also tried a different font...

Chris
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 04:00 PM

another....

Chris
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Graphic Designer

Hi

Here's my idea

Thanks
Fabian
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 05:46 PM

Here are the designs using the whit out leaf...

Chris
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 05:47 PM

here is the second one...
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 08:28 PM

alexessory,

Here is the revision to my concept a little less abstract. I also wanted you to see it against black, since a lot of games come with black/dark box backgrounds.

Carl...
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 10:05 PM

here is my revision...
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 10:39 PM

more ideas
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Client

Thanks again for the revisions, everyone

Arthouse: I love the subtle effect you've added to the colours, and I hadn't picked up on the F and M but that's very clever! That would be really great to incorporate, but I don't want to compromise the shape to make it fit... argh, decisions decisions! Could you try it without the longish stalk? I'm not sure what else to suggest on this one. I personally like the font also, but not sure it's the right one for what we're trying to say. Sorry this is such vague feedback.

Chris: I can see you've simplified the shape a bit, more please I'd really like to see the kind of lines you've used, but even less detail on the individual flame bits. I prefer the first font you used, I don't mind the line running through the second one but I'm not keen on the left-leaning slope of the M. I like the negative space leaf "glowing" in the flames.

Fabian: Thanks for your entry! I'm of two minds regarding the font - I do like the dots on the F, E and T but not on the other letters... also to me the mark looks like just a mint leaf, could you introduce something to suggest the fire or casting ideas in the name?

Carl: Thanks for putting the image on a black background, that's a very good point - in fact, our logo will have to work on *any* colour background, including multi-coloured! I prefer the shinyness how you have it now, and the font is better too. I do like the idea of all caps with no ascenders or descenders... the f and particularly the m in this one bother me a bit. I'm not sure about how you have the drop and leaf sitting side by side now. Please feel free to explore some other ideas too!

DG: The leaf shape is looking much better, and the flame is better too - could you simplify/exaggerate them even more? I think that in some of the designs you wanted to suggest movement with the letters, but I'd like to keep the lettering simpler - so all on the same baseline and the pattern in the second group is too busy... I like the font, though! I hope you won't be offended but to me, the mint leaf in the second group looks a bit like a Christmas tree going up in flames Again, I'd like to see the flames simpler, a bit less tall and skinny and more flame-like looking if that makes sense. But you're heading in the right direction!

A suggestion for everyone - as Carl pointed out the logo needs to work on many backgrounds, perhaps you could consider that - three solutions I can think of are
- something with very strong, clean lines
- something that works very well in just one colour
- some sort of background incorporated into the logo, eg the whole thing sits on a rectangle, circle, rounded square... some sort of shape (a very simple flame, even!)

Many thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to what you'll show me next!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:46 PM

Thanks for feedback. I'll be back shortly with revision
Old 03-12-2004, 12:36 AM

Here are 2 ideas.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2004, 12:57 AM

here are some variations...

what do u think?
Attached Images